james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r451636 - /james/server/trunk/src/java/org/apache/james/core/AbstractJamesHandler.java
Date Sun, 01 Oct 2006 10:48:56 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> mmm... "unknown", [IP] or null (compatibility)? I do not see it very clear
>> in http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/net/InetAddress.html#getHostName()
>
> As I said, InetAddress and dnsjava do not always exhibit the same behavior.  That's one
reason why we only changed JAMES to use dnsjava where proper TTL handling was important.
Otherwise, we left it using the standard Java API.  If we are going to use dnsjava more broadly
(and *not* directly in Matchers and Mailets), we'll likely encounter additional nuances.

The problem is that if we use 2 services we'll have 2 caches to monitor
and manage and this does not make so much sense.

We should probably expose more used parameters (hostname/address of the
sender) via mailetContext so we can serve them via our DNSService.

> To answer the question asked by you, Norman and Stefano, see getHostFromNameService in
InetAddress.

> 	--- Noel

Yes, they never return exceptions but catch them and return the hostaddress:
---
} catch (SecurityException e) {
   host = addr.getHostAddress();
} catch (UnknownHostException e) {
   host = addr.getHostAddress();
}
----

If we want to replace it with dnsjava we should make sure we do the same
to avoid compatibility problems.

PS: the java.net class also checks for spoofing running a getAllByName0
on the resulting host to check that the IP address is in the list of the
forward conversion.

Stefano