james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE RESULT] James Server future releases/road maps
Date Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:27:44 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> So it seems everyone agreed: no one want to work on the next-minor but
>> no one is against it and everyone want to work directly on next-major.
>
> Actually, no.  I was working from 7AM until 11PM for the past week, and
> didn't have time to deal with this, since I've already indicated that there
> are some changes to include in a minor update.  And considering my
> confidence in next-major, having a minor update ready makes good sense.

Sorry Noel. Please, the next time, write something when you know you
won't be able to reply for 5 days. I already made this longer than
previous votes (5 days) and I wrote the expiration date/hour in the vote.

I saw you replied to other topics so I thought you was aware of this but
didn't care replying, sorry.

Btw this is easy to solve: if you still believe you can do something
good for next-minor you're free to do a proposal and proceed as no one
vetoed the next-minor: as you are the only with a +1 you'll be alone and
it will be more easy to find an agreement with yourself about the
roadmap ;-)

Please vote anyway when you find the time, even if I wrote the result
we're all interested in your vote. (In my mind I considered your vote a
+1 to next-minor and +0 to next-major)

>> Now that we confirmed this, I think we should avoid committing to trunk
>> anything that we already know we're not going to include in next-major
>> (repository refactoring, dsn and other non backward compatible changes)
>> until we don't branch (this will simplify the workflow).
>
> I'm laughing, since you were so upset when we tried to get you to do this
> the last time we tried to prepare a release.  But at the same time, I find
> your statement very reassuring, since it seems that you are understanding,
> now, what it takes to start planning for a release.  This is excellent news.
>
> 	--- Noel

This time is different because we are many active developers. Last time
this happened I was the ONLY one active developer. So there was no plan
but what I was doing. And there was really no need to stop commits in
trunk: the problem is that there was not a roadmap but what I had in my
mind. This time I'm trying to coordinate a roadmap because I see I'm not
alone. So, not a news on my behaviour: the scenario has, fortunately,
changed :-)

Stefano