james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Sent items facility in JAMES
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 07:17:41 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Norman Maurer wrote:
>
>>> JAMES does not use JavaMail for storage (it is bad enough for what we do
> use
>>> it for).  In fact, with a wee bit of work, JavaMail will be entirely
> removed
>>> from the POP3 codepath.
>
>> Who said that we remove it entirely ?
>
>>>From that particular code path?  Been on the plans for ages.  Absolutely no
> need for JavaMail in that particular codepath, since we don't actually need
> to process the content at all.
>
>> We have the javamailstore repository in trunk which is great code.
>
> But with one major flaw: it depends upon JavaMail, and JavaMail wants to
> instantiate the MimeMessage.  WE DO NOT NEED A MIMEMESSAGE FOR POP3.  We
> only need the stream.  The code may open doors to using existing stores, but
> it won't be as efficient as a native store, nor as reliable, due to its
> dependence on JavaMail.
>
> 	--- Noel

MimeMessage exposes a lot of its internals: extending it and taking care
of protected things a MimeMessage is simply an InputStream a Session and
a bunch of null field.

So I don't see many problems with JavaMail itself: we can improve it, we
can also rewrite its full parsing using mime4j.. the api itself have
limitations but we are far from being limited by it. We have plenty of
improvements we can do without removing JavaMail.

I already did many things to be able to do the SMTP => POP3 path without
having to call the parse() method of MimeMessage: unfortunately I had to
remove a key part for this (the lazy loading of headers only) because of
problems with current repositories and I think this problems will be
solved as soon as we introduce MessageRepositories.

Stefano