james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Caching in DNSJAVA
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2006 21:56:07 GMT
Brian Wellington wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Oct 2006, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> Approximate memory as to how much each node consume?
>
> It depends on the data, mostly.  <snip/>
>
> It's easy enough to get a rough measurement of how much 50000 nodes
> takes with a small test program, but it really depends on the format of
> the contents for it to be at all useful.

Hi Brian,

first of all, thank you for all your help!

I just checked the dump and I extracted this numbers:

21384 SOARecord
20123 NSRecord
17744 ARecord
14354 MXRecord
----------------
73605 Total

I don't know how to calculate them and why they are 73K and not 50K, but
if my fast dump analysis is ok they are using almost 20MB (depth calc
including byte data and Names), and this mean an average 280bytes per
Record.

Do this numbers make sense to you or is it better that I check in depth
"what" is using "how much"?

And what about the 73000 records against 50000 cache size? Is this
because we can have multiple records for every node?

I know we can provide our own Cache object as the default Cache, so I
started thinking about overriding it with a weak/soft cache so that it
could not cause OOM even with big cache limits, but I see that data
(CacheMap) is private and CacheMap is also private.

Can I suggest to make some of the Cache private field/method protected
or extract the Cache interface from the default implementation?

Thank you again,
Stefano