james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Caching in DNSJAVA
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2006 22:44:31 GMT
Brian Wellington wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> Can I suggest to make some of the Cache private field/method protected
>> or extract the Cache interface from the default implementation?
>
> Are you suggesting simply making CacheMap public, and making the data
> field accessible?  I don't think data should be public, but adding
> accessor methods would be ok.

I have not checked it yet but from a fast review making CacheMap public
and data protected would anyway force as to use CacheMap extensions for
the custom implementation.

Maybe the easier way would be:

- change data field type from CacheMap to Map
- change data field visibility from private to protected
- add casts to Cache.(set|get)MaxEntries()
-------
public int getMaxEntries() {
   return ((CacheMap) data).getMaxSize();
}

public void setMaxEntries(int entries) {
   ((CacheMap) data).setMaxSize(entries);
}
--------
This way it would be easier to provide a custom Map implementation by
overriding the constructors (creating a different map instead of
CacheMap) and overriding the get/set max entries to avoid the
classcastexception.

What do you think?

Stefano