james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mailet API - subscribe or miss out...
Date Sun, 29 Oct 2006 00:10:35 GMT
You guys have to decide what you want and build a consensus around
that.  My group
 intends to continue developing our mail server (although I've since
left JBoss/RedHat).

Initially we hoped to support the mailet API but there seems to be a
group who wants to
create an abstract cross-mailserver API and another group who sees it as
just an API for
JAMES.  Prior to these concrete discussions you guys need to have it out
over this intent,
get the little fight over and move forward.

Following that little bit there is a question of "how far do we go?"
And that comes down to
adoption.  Unless the direction is basically to where someone can go to
MailetSwap (similar to
portletswap.com/ see:
http://jboss.org/jbossBlog/blog/rrusso/2006/10/12/The_Portlet_Repository_Protocol.txt
for some idea) and get mailets that work in any mailserver then there is
next to no chance that anyone
other than JAMES will bother supporting it (obviously, why should we?).
With the
collaboration/groupware industry heating up and  new players on the
scene this is the time to move...if the
will is there.  Anyhow, have the REAL discussion before moving on to the
details....get the crying and hugging
it out overwith and move forward.

Just a suggestion.

-Andy