james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <danny.an...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: BasicMailboxSession (aka MessageRepository)
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2006 17:07:00 GMT
On 10/28/06, Joachim Draeger <jdraeger@gmx.de> wrote:

> Okay there is one point that is a bit more difficult:
> ToRepository Mailet, which accepts a url.
> It is used for mail that is not delivered to a user like spam or mail
> that can't be delivered.
> I guess the ability to put this repositories where ever one wants is
> quite popular.

Yes very.
I think that your idea for easy access is OK but it shouldn't replace
URL access.
URL access is vital for people who want James to create distinct
repositories for filtered or copied mail (e.g. archiving). filtering
by user is only one (important) way in which people using james want
to sort mail.

> Maybe we could use a logical #system name space here like #system.spam
> or #system.address-error.
> For example this could be mapped like: #system.* -> file:/var/mail/*

Yuk, whats wrong with file:/var/mail if thats really where you want to put it??

Plus the db URL will actually create the tables for you if it needs
to, how great is *that*?

d.

> What do you think?

I think you could make a case for making access to user inboxes
simpler, but not for replacing URL's, they are truly one of James'
nicest features.

James has always been intended to be highly flexible, you can
configure it in infinite different ways. I will always be nervous of
replacing open-ended flexibility with functionality which only applies
to specific use-cases. What you are proposing assumes that people will
always want to use James the way you think they do now. This isn't
true.

d.