james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernd Fondermann" <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Discussing proposals
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 07:27:34 GMT
On 10/4/06, Joachim Draeger <jd@joachim-draeger.de> wrote:
> Hi Bernd,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 03.10.2006, 13:34 +0200 schrieb Bernd Fondermann:
>
> > while I see there has been some discussion about this mixed in here,
> > what is the current architectural target for this?
> > currently, I am having problems to determine our roadmap concerning
> > this. (did I miss something?)
>
> It's like every time at the James project. A proposal is done, some
> discussion raises up. If a "religious" architecture topic is hit like
> "too much protocol dependent" there is a lot of discussion for a short
> time.
> The problem is discussion hibernates without a result.

I am desperate relating your answer to my orginal statement. My
paragraph was just a bad way of asking: "What are the next concrete
steps on the repository/IMAP development stuff people have in mind?",
which you indeed answered at the bottom of your reply.

Instead of endlessly complaining about the stalled discussions, which
does not help anyway, let's change the way of discussion back to ASF
best-practice:
+ stay technical
+ don't take it personally if others have objections
+ fork different topics to their own threads
+ make precise, to the-point statements
+ be consent-oriented, summarize views. if needed, put up a vote
_after_ the discussion has been done.

Proposals are just proposals, bases for discussion.
If you leave the discussion out, you run a much higher risk of getting
vetos, because people tend to not object things they were involed with
early on. That's a psychological fact.

What I had in mind, in fact, was to re-animate the discussion, to
bring it forward and collaborate with you on the topic. (Your current
code is not available on the project, so I cannot comment on this.
Former comments suggested to me there were substantial changes since
July.)

I am just interested in understanding what you are actually doing, not
to blocking anything.

  Bernd