james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Sent items facility in JAMES
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 06:34:28 GMT
Norman Maurer wrote:

> > JAMES does not use JavaMail for storage (it is bad enough for what we do
use
> > it for).  In fact, with a wee bit of work, JavaMail will be entirely
removed
> > from the POP3 codepath.

> Who said that we remove it entirely ?

>From that particular code path?  Been on the plans for ages.  Absolutely no
need for JavaMail in that particular codepath, since we don't actually need
to process the content at all.

> We have the javamailstore repository in trunk which is great code.

But with one major flaw: it depends upon JavaMail, and JavaMail wants to
instantiate the MimeMessage.  WE DO NOT NEED A MIMEMESSAGE FOR POP3.  We
only need the stream.  The code may open doors to using existing stores, but
it won't be as efficient as a native store, nor as reliable, due to its
dependence on JavaMail.

	--- Noel