james-server-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Hoffmann ...@byteaction.de>
Subject AW: Emacs and Eclipse
Date Sun, 12 Nov 2006 23:13:41 GMT
Hi Noel,

it is silly to think, that one has to change the source tree, or anything,
so one can build JAMES using an IDE. Your Arguments show me that you are
trying to defend yourself because you are not using such a tool. The
question is "why?" No one on this list is telling you to use one, nor
telling you that they are so much better. You asked if it is possible to run
one single Unit Test.

People just keep telling you how easy they run it from within the IDE or
maven. If you do not like it, do not use it, it's that easy. But please stop
complaining about how long Unit Tests take, and about how hard it is to find
a solution to your problem.

And thanks for the link about a person switching from eclipse back to emacs.
We have a developer in our company, who was coding his whole life with
xemacs, and is now happily using eclipse. There was an article not so long
ago about a formerly german xemacs evangelist, using eclipse happily now
too.

What does all of this say? Nothing, correct. It all boils down to personal
likings and dislikings.

One more thought I have about maven vs. ant. All maven is trying to do, is
to pre-define a common project layout. No one hinders you to *not* use it.
If you do not like the directory layout, you have to do some more
configuration inside the main configuration file. Maven gives you so many
tools out of the box.

If you still cannot find what you are looking for, you can script your own
goals and targets just like within ant. The developers over at maven even
found a way to solve complaints about other developers stating that "ant" is
shorter to type than "maven". If you cannot find any sense in using it,
other developers can. And that is fine. But saying, to change my project
layout into a common one, which helps new developers find their way around
in the project, just because I do not want to, or I cannot see why this
would be a benefit, is just as silly as to say the Hell with RFC's and
JSR's.

One more thing about the memory leak. First, I am happy you were proven and
found, and fixed the bug. But I would be more happy if there was an
automated test exposing the bug before fixing it. As is stated on:

http://clarkware.com/articles/JUnitPrimer.html -> Testing Idioms -> "When a
bug is reported, write a test to expose the bug."

For simulating simultaneous connections, maybe this test lib could be of
use:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-contest.html

Just my 2 Cents

Juergen