james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Hoffmann ...@byteaction.de>
Subject AW: Emacs and Eclipse
Date Mon, 13 Nov 2006 00:20:18 GMT
Hi,

see below

Juergen

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Noel J. Bergman [mailto:noel@devtech.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 13. November 2006 00:32
An: James Developers List
Betreff: RE: Emacs and Eclipse

Jürgen Hoffmann wrote:

> No one on this list is telling you to use one, nor telling you
> that they are so much better. You asked if it is possible to
> run one single Unit Test.

And since no one else knew how, I took care of it.

[JH>] People told you how they did it, it just did not match your
environment.

> But please stop complaining about how long Unit Tests take,

You might notice that Danny and others also commented on the issue, and no
one disagreed that it was a concern.

[JH>] I think Testing is very important. And I personally dislike partial
testing, because you might miss certain areas of the code which were
affected by a change, by not testing the whole. So I really am on Dannys
side, that if you want to only do partial testing, a split into several
small pieces is the best bet.

> and about how hard it is to find a solution to your problem.

It wasn't at all hard to solve the problem, once someone (me) took the time
to look for a solution.

[JH>] And that is, what I like about you. You complain a lot, but are not
afraid to tackle a given problem alone ;-)

> For simulating simultaneous connections, maybe this test lib could be of
> use: http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-contest.html

No help at all.  It wasn't a matter of simultaneous connections, for which
we have test drivers.  It was a matter of 100s of 1000s of client IP
addresses and their host names.  Simulating that is the challenge.

[JH>] I was thinking about:

- simulating IP Adresses,
- make concurrent connections to the server
- and issue a HELO with the simulated IP.

I do not know if it is possible to fake a remote IP while doing local
connections within Java. My Knowledge on this topic is a little shy.