james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: A failing or slow test is a good test too
Date Tue, 14 Nov 2006 12:34:59 GMT
Joachim Draeger wrote:
> I'm still not
> convinced about the benefits except they are circumstancing limitations
> in current tools.

When we'll have tools without that limitations we maybe change our minds
;-) In the mean time I think that tools matters.

Remove tools from the world, and you will find people to change their
behaviours.

>>> Unit tests can be part of the definition. They should not be changed in
>>> any way as long they are valid.
>> Not agreed. This is a too dogmatic point of view.
>
> Maybe. But I noticed that they help me a lot as a "definition" in the
> part-time os developer job. What does the code I started writing last
> week?

My suggestion is to keep them local, or ask to use your own branch if
you need this.

>>> Right. As I started to test which IMAP commands work in the current
>>> implementation I wrote integration tests. These have proven to be very
>>> useful.
>>> If the problem arises, that they are to slow for "every-day-use" we
>>> should separate, but not change them.
>> integration tests don't belong into a unit test suite.
>> per definition, in java, unit tests test (more or less) a single class
>> ("the unit").
>
> What do you mean by that statement related to current James development?
> Separating integration from unit tests? Don't use junit for integration
> tests?
>
> Joachim

Here the full suite take almost 1 minute to run. I think that while we
are under 2-3 minutes we can keep them together.

We probably don't have a single real unit test in our test suite if we
use some strict definition of unit test. But imho this is not important
now. I think the current tests are useful, and I don't care to find a
proper name for them.

When we'll have enough test to loose too much time testing I will be
happy to offer my time to split them or to optimize them.

Stefano