james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r470929 - in /james/server/branches/v2.3/src/java/org/apache/james: dnsserver/DNSServer.java nntpserver/NNTPHandler.java pop3server/POP3Handler.java remotemanager/RemoteManagerHandler.java smtpserver/SMTPHandler.java
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 12:37:26 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> but it could happen (or maybe it already happen) that some third party
>> library we use still make use of InetAddress "flawed" methods, and the
>> above property would save us from the possible OutOfMemory because of
>> the unbounded cache.
>
> Perhaps, but I would rather vet the code, and be more careful about what we use.  Now
that we know one of the things to look for carefully, we can avoid it.  The better solution
is to avoid the problem, not mask it.

> 	--- Noel

I agree on the "avoid it": we avoid it in trunk because of this.
I just opened a JIRA issue specific to the property usage.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-679

e.g. it is for sure better to make secure applications, but people keep
trying to run applications using unpriviledged users: hope you agree
that the right solution is to have secure applications, but is good to
have them running with less priviledges. This is not to mask the
problems, it is to avoid the results of the problems.

Stefano