james-server-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Danny Angus" <danny.an...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next-major plans (was: Next 2.x release)
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 20:37:33 GMT
On 11/7/06, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:

> Reading what's going on on the mailet api side I think that we won't
> include any change on mailet apis in next-major. The current proposal is
> a strawman implementation and it needs a full non backward compatible
> rewrite of the server.

I hope that over the next week or so I will be in a position to make
some detailed proposals about the API. Andy Oliver has been great to
bounce ideas off.

The fork is indeed a straw man, but please note that it isn't just the
API thats being changed, I'm testing my ideas out by changing the
server as well. In fact the head of the fork builds and runs with a
fairly comprehensive array of mailets deployed. One of my aims is to
ensure that James can be modified without too much pain to support the
API changes.

I'd also like to move the API out to its own sub-project before we
change it, so that the API can be released with a test-bed of some
kind to allow mailet authors to change their mailets before they
upgrade the server, and to allow Server to upgrade to support the API
changes at its own pace, and not forced by the pace of change of the

> Can you write what you think "we" have decided as I understand you don't
> feel you have decided the following:
> ------------
> "next-major":
> - based on current trunk
> - storage and config.xml compatible with 2.3.0
> - ETA: branch on Dec 2006/Jan 2007, release on Mar 2007
> ---------

Please people, if we think we've agreed something record this stuff in
the STATUS file then we can stop discussing it and move forwards. :-)


To unsubscribe, e-mail: server-dev-unsubscribe@james.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: server-dev-help@james.apache.org

View raw message