james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernd Fondermann" <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r470929 - in /james/server/branches/v2.3/src/java/org/apache/james: dnsserver/DNSServer.java nntpserver/NNTPHandler.java pop3server/POP3Handler.java remotemanager/RemoteManagerHandler.java smtpserver/SMTPHandler.java
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 15:18:27 GMT
> Bernd Fondermann wrote:
>
> > did you ever think of writing test code for accessing DNS lookups
> > which is able to run offline or with a mock up DNS server?
>
> Actually, yes.  For example, while I was tracking down the InetAddress cache
> related memory leak.  :-)
>
> > hardcoded static access to another component makes that impossible.
>
> However, the Java class library doesn't care about Avalon services, so
> nothing we are talking about would have helped.  We would need a way of
> "simulating" connections from 100s of 1000s of unique IP addresses and
> unique host names that was not only convincing to JAMES but to core Java.

as long as _we_ care about abstraction and encapsulation in general
(using Avalon Services or whatever), we can work around this fact by
centrally replacing JDK calls or third party stuff with something
else.
if InetAddress would have been properly replaced with DNSServer calls
everywhere, the problem would never have been there, right?

  Bernd