james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernd Fondermann" <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Next 2.x release
Date Tue, 07 Nov 2006 16:56:49 GMT
> I could spend hours explaining why this statistic are meaningless, but I
> think I should concentrate my effort proving you wrong on the
> "battlefield" ;-)
>
> I agree with you that we'll have a better overview only when we'll
> merge, but we're in roadmap and we'll branch at most in 2 months.

Why branch as early as that? Why even decide on this now? Anyone
_right now_ planning  to do work on trunk not intended for the next
release?

> think we should try to branch already in december, and delay to jan 2007
> *only* if we can be sure a missing critical feature will be ready by
> that day, otherwise we should branch without that feature.

What are the planned features? Which are "missing critical"? What even
is the "mission", beyond improving James?
This is a complete abstract discussion to me at this point given the
50+ JIRAs and maybe other things not even contained in JIRA. Please
enlighten me.

> I won't bet the farm about the release date, but I'll work for that to
> happen, and I expect the same from all other committers but you (as they
> replied +1 to the next-major plans).

Jeez, what is so important about that date? - Of course I agree to
release more often than we did. Every 6 month seems absolutly
reasonable to me.
Maybe March is OK, too - but this is completely depending on the
feature set and the status of the application at that point in time.

> As we expect it to be out really soon, can you give us more details on
> features you plan to backport?

Who is "we"?

Sorry, I don't want to get into a fist fight here, so please let's
take a step back.
We have decided and agreed about the general direction, this is very good.
Now let's go to work and see where it gets us.
At any point in time we can get back to discussion and adjust our
yet-not-so-complete roadmap.

  Bernd