james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernd Fondermann" <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Trunk and next-major features vs date (was: Next 2.x release)
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 08:35:31 GMT
> Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> >> I understand from this message that you instead are +0 on next-major
> >> (with the additional doubts about feasibility) and +1 on working on
> >> next-greater. I hope the other voters understood better the vote and
> >> they don't think that Mar 2007 for next-major is unrealistic, otherwise
> >> we have a problem in our voting process.
> >
> > No. My vote stands. With the exception of the release date.
> > It really doesn't matter if it is ready March or July or September.
> >
> > What's important for me is: to work on trunk and keep compatibility.
> > I am sure you are not saying that if I don't commit myself to a date,
> > I cannot work on it.
>
> You can work on it, but you should be aware that there is someone
> committed to that date and (if I thought this is what we voted, but we
> should probably discuss again and confirm this) that after that date
> your work on trunk won't be included on next-major but the following
> release.

Are there any hidden dependencies I don't know about that are forcing
you to release in March?
Please cool down. What will be included in a release is a community
decision. It is not done months before - by just setting a date.

> I know you only commit working and functional code, so it should be
> really an issue to you.

It isn't. Please, don't try to threaten me because of this date.

> I proposed to work on a time based roadmap instead of a feature based
> roadmap because it seemed to me the best compromise between the member
> goals, and because I think this is more "challenging" (Am I using
> existing words? ;-) )

Once again, I think it is good to have a time frame perspective.
Depending on the features set, it could be realistic or not. No need
to waste time about, right now.

> I simply read 5 times the whole "JAMES 2.4 Road Map" thread and other
> threads used to discuss the roadmap and created a vote and a roadmap
> that imho is feasible: we can't discuss 2 months to decide what should
> be included in a release we want to publish in 2 months.

Yeah. But you are the one who is re-iterating all this discussions. I
just said, that your "hard date" for me is a "soft date". What is it
that makes you kind of angry about that?

  Bernd