james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernd Fondermann" <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Include Unit Tests in regular build
Date Sat, 11 Nov 2006 00:02:38 GMT
> > Currently, unit tests have to be run separate with
> > "ant run-unit-tests"
>
> > This makes it very easy to forget to run them prio to a commit.
>
> But that's not the highest duty cycle.  I agree that people should run the
> tests before they commit, but forgettfulness is not sufficient justification
> to increase development time by many-fold.

Agreed. While developing, only relevant tests should be run.
Many people achive this by letting the IDE compile (incrementally) and
run only tests they choose.
But those developing using command line could get annoyed.

> > If we would include the run-unit-tests target in dist-lite, this would
> > happen with every build and immediate feedback is given if something
> > breaks in the tests.
>
> Except for one thing ... a build takes a few seconds, even from scratch, and
> the unit tests take anywhere from 3 minutes on up, especially the very slow
> IMAP-related tests.

Slow tests are a unit test anti-pattern on its own ;-)

> Although I appreciate your reasoning, I'm against it.  The tests just take
> too long, and are far too annoying when someone is working in a particular
> area of the server.

... and would lead to people disabling tests altogether in their local env.
mmhhh....

 Bernd