james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: svn commit: r470929 - in /james/server/branches/v2.3/src/java/org/apache/james: dnsserver/DNSServer.java nntpserver/NNTPHandler.java pop3server/POP3Handler.java remotemanager/RemoteManagerHandler.java smtpserver/SMTPHandler.java
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 00:51:40 GMT
Danny Angus wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > That's it.  Assembly vs a static method.  The only difference between
the
> > two code sets.  That's all that we're talking about.

> You're not going to draw me into a Big Debate about this ;-)

Well, I agree with you, but Stefano thinks that the difference amounts to a
technical justification to block the fix.  :-)

> From where I'm sitting though, static method == Bad, indirection and
> separation of concerns == good.

Well, the SoC claim is bogus, because either way the code is in the same
component.  The difference is the indirection to the implementation.  Yes,
that's generally a reasonable thing, but it isn't as if JAMES is a bag of
components for someone to tinker around with in Spring.  It is an
application.  Besides, the assembly-based fix is in trunk, which we might be
able to release next Summer (maybe).

> Its a *tiny* point of design vs a pragmatic Big Win. I'm on your side,
> the pragmatic change wins hands down. and that is my final word.

:-)

	--- Noel