james-server-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Next 2.x release
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 01:20:47 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> But this time the problem is not only nomenclature, it is that you mixed
> 2.3.1 and next-minor. See bottom.

I was using 2.3.1 as a placeholder for next minor.  Needed to call it
something in the properties file.  Would have prefered to just call it 2.4.

> No, please! v2.3 branch is for 2.3.1 and we should backport there only
> bugfixes. There is already need for the v2.3 branch to be separated by
> the next-minor branch because the accept and unbounded cache fixes can
> be included in v2.3 branch while the per service/per ip connection limit
> can be only committed to the next-minor branch.

If you think that I am going to maintain fixes in several separate branches,
you are crazier than I am.  :-)  I'll be happy to rename the v2.3 branch to
be the next minor branch, and copy the 2.3.0 tag back as the v2.3 branch for
you to maintain if that's your wish, but I've already been there, done that,
and have the T-shirt.  Not going to happen again unless it has to happen,
and it doesn't.  Perhaps you'll just to have to learn the same lessons about
release management that we learned the hard way.

Me, I'm planning to maintain a stable release branch and work on new things
in trunk.

> Maybe we decide not to release 2.3.1 and simply release "next-minor" as
> 2.4.0

That'd be my best guess.

> or maybe we decide to release a 2.3.1 in a month and release "next-major"
> later if we decide not to release "next-minor".

I highly doubt it.  Not unless "next-major" comes from the v2.3.0 codebase,
or a seriously stripped and vetted trunk.

	--- Noel

To unsubscribe, e-mail: server-dev-unsubscribe@james.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: server-dev-help@james.apache.org

View raw message