james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: svn commit: r470929 - in /james/server/branches/v2.3/src/java/org/apache/james: dnsserver/DNSServer.java nntpserver/NNTPHandler.java pop3server/POP3Handler.java remotemanager/RemoteManagerHandler.java smtpserver/SMTPHandler.java
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 18:55:39 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> Currently I cast my veto on this change (I also wrote I didn't like this
> change in a previous message).

"Like" is not a technical justification.  I don't like Maven (which actually HAS issues, unlike
this change).  And I don't like memory leaks, even ones that I am told should be closed without
being fixed because they are a figment of my imagination.

> This patch introduce new hardcoded dependencies between components and
> we worked hard to remove them everywhere.

So what?  It is the simplest fix.  The alternative is to backport the more complex changes
from trunk, but as Norman says, the full fix in trunk is more complex than people wanted to
backport.  If we were going to keep development v2.3 extensively, I'd agree on backporting
the more complex changes from trunk, but this is a dead-end fix that addresses the problem
in exactly the same manner.

> Have you tested the solution using the system property or the security
> property? I think we should fix it using that solution.

Why?  This is the same fix that is in trunk, except for the silly debate over static vs assembly,
and no one is proposing to keep this around in future major releases.  We know that this fix
works, and does not have any side-effects.  Why would I want to use a un-bounded, time-based,
cache when everywhere else we use a bounded, properly managed, DNS cache?  And why would I
want BOTH?  This change is the one that we have made everywhere else, and missed in these
spots.

So I see two choices: we keep it or we backport the more complex code from trunk.

	--- Noel