james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSSION] Include Unit Tests in regular build
Date Sat, 11 Nov 2006 00:18:52 GMT
> Except for one thing ... a build takes a few seconds, even from scratch,
and
> the unit tests take anywhere from 3 minutes on up, especially the very
slow
> IMAP-related tests.

To put this in perspective, on my normal working environment, the unit tests
take almost 8 minutes to run.  If we put them into the standard build
target, I'll end up ^C-ing out of the build and just being annoyed.

On the nightly build server, a dual core Athlon 3800 X2, we went from 1
minute to over 3 minutes.  I used that server today, since I did about 20
builds while playing with the TCP/IP backlog test, and wasting an hour of my
time waiting for the superfluous tests when I only wanted to run one (which
happens after the dreadfully slow IMAP tests) was not something I enjoyed.
And that was when I *wanted* to run a unit test --- but only one.

I have no issue about adding the unit tests to the dist target.

	--- Noel