james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: svn commit: r470929 - in /james/server/branches/v2.3/src/java/org/apache/james: dnsserver/DNSServer.java nntpserver/NNTPHandler.java pop3server/POP3Handler.java remotemanager/RemoteManagerHandler.java smtpserver/SMTPHandler.java
Date Sun, 05 Nov 2006 18:02:57 GMT
Danny Angus wrote:

> Norman Maurer <nm@byteaction.de> wrote:
> > Commit which noel made:
> > +0 Cause i not see a big problem in it . We have the problems
> > with couple services anyway in 2.3

> +0 This is a temporary measure which resolves the issue, but doesn't
> remove the root cause properly.

Danny, what are you talking about?  Of course it removes the root cause.
That is all and exactly what it does.  What other root cause are you
presuming?

> > Backport the complex one from trunk:
> > + 1 Cause it is the better "solution" even it can intruduce more
> > problems cause it is a  "big" patch. Anyway i whould like to see it
> > cause i don'T asspect 2.3.1 in a few weeks. So why hurry ?

I would expect the next minor release within a month, and we could release
JAMES Next Minor immediately if more people start to report this problem.

> +1, but I'm not going to do it, and anyway that can be planned into
> the *next* release.

What is the point of backporting the more complex change which offers zero
functional difference and also requires the user to remove assembly.xml in
order to restart JAMES because the configurations are not compatible?

> > Use properties:
> > + 0.5 I think we should at least add this to "known issues" as solution
> +1 to document the use of the properties so that others can choose how
> to use them.

Yes, we can document these properties for people whose custom additions use
InetAddress for resolution, and therefore suffer from the crude and lazy
hack in Sun's InetAddress implementation.  Better still would be to document
that they should use dnsjava or our DNSServer, but I'm not ready to define
the latter in the Mailet API.

	--- Noel