james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Next 2.x release
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 16:50:04 GMT
Norman,

> I would follow Stefano..

First, I don't "follow."   As I did with JAMES-592, I will keep my own
counsel.  Second, this is not about Stefano, an eager, talented and
dedicated Committer.  Nor is this about time, talent or coding ability.
Actually, we're way under the average for bugs per LOC.

However, I do not believe that we are going to copy trunk and have a stable
release a few months later.  Why?  A few facts:

  SVN diff between 2.2 RC1 and final: 23304 lines
  SVN diff between 2.3 RC1 and final: 15858 lines
  SVN diff between 2.2 and 2.3 final: 63641 lines
  SVN diff between 2.3.0 and trunk: 104,415 lines

  Time from first 2.3 alpha to 2.3 release: 8 months
  Time from the 2.3 RC1 to 2.3 release:     3 months

Of course, such statistical comparisons are fraught with danger for making
erroneous assumptions, and we have a big advantage that we haven't had
before: Bernd, the Mad Tester :-).  But until we branch trunk, review all of
the changes from the stable code, and get serious about preparing a release,
any assertion that this release cycle will substantially differ from
previous ones is at best speculative.

> If you really think its bad you should [help] fix it directly

If I really thought that trunk was a steaming pile of crap, I'd say so.  As
I've said, I plan to work on trunk.  But based upon the fact that there are
60% more lines of change between the current release and the source for
"next major" than between 2.2 and 2.3 -- and that doesn't include
handlerapi-v2 and any Mailet API changes -- I won't be betting the farm on a
release in (early) 2007.  So while we work on the code from trunk, I plan to
manage nice, safe, incremental, changes based upon the stable code in v2.3.
Consider it insurance.

> i really believe [trunk] at least such stable as 2.2.0 !

  Number of issues fixed between 2.2 and 2.3: ~180

	--- Noel