james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Confirmed but unidentified memory leak in RC2
Date Sun, 05 Nov 2006 18:03:02 GMT
The fix I committed (r470929) appears to have resolved this problem,
according to the heap logs from the past 23 hours, during which we handled
~140K connections and ~8.5K spooled messages.  All of the allocation sites
appear to be well controlled.  The major consumer of heap, and this is no
surprise, is the dnsjava cache, which I have configured for a maximum of
5000 entries.

By the way, this may explain why others have not noticed the problem.  It
takes a large number of unique SMTP client addresses to surface the defect.
For example, a connection rate of ~125K per day of which (from pre-r470929
heap dumps) perhaps 60% are unique and a 2MB leak per day would imply ~28
bytes per unique IP, which seems reasonable.  What kind of connection rate,
particularly unique clients, are others seeing?

I will let the process run until tonight before taking another heap dump,
and post the file in the usual place for anyone who wants to review.  If
nothing looks amiss in the logs tonight, I'll bring it back up without heap
dump tracking, and see if everything is stable this week.  Based upon the
results so far, I'm quite hopeful.

	--- Noel