james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: svn commit: r470929 - in /james/server/branches/v2.3/src/java/org/apache/james: dnsserver/DNSServer.java nntpserver/NNTPHandler.java pop3server/POP3Handler.java remotemanager/RemoteManagerHandler.java smtpserver/SMTPHandler.java
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 13:57:14 GMT
Bernd Fondermann wrote:

> did you ever think of writing test code for accessing DNS lookups
> which is able to run offline or with a mock up DNS server?

Actually, yes.  For example, while I was tracking down the InetAddress cache
related memory leak.  :-)

> hardcoded static access to another component makes that impossible.

However, the Java class library doesn't care about Avalon services, so
nothing we are talking about would have helped.  We would need a way of
"simulating" connections from 100s of 1000s of unique IP addresses and
unique host names that was not only convincing to JAMES but to core Java.

> For the specific fix discussed here, this seems ok and is improving
> immediate quality. Beyond the scope of the bug fix, it is reducing
> the overall quality of the application.

And the code is trunk has the assembly-based indirection in it, right?  So
you cannot claim that I'm in favor of a static method instead of indirection
on a general basis.

	--- Noel