james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSSION] Include Unit Tests in regular build
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 19:01:25 GMT
> Currently, unit tests have to be run separate with
> "ant run-unit-tests"

> This makes it very easy to forget to run them prio to a commit.

But that's not the highest duty cycle.  I agree that people should run the
tests before they commit, but forgettfulness is not sufficient justification
to increase development time by many-fold.

> If we would include the run-unit-tests target in dist-lite, this would
> happen with every build and immediate feedback is given if something
> breaks in the tests.

Except for one thing ... a build takes a few seconds, even from scratch, and
the unit tests take anywhere from 3 minutes on up, especially the very slow
IMAP-related tests.

Although I appreciate your reasoning, I'm against it.  The tests just take
too long, and are far too annoying when someone is working in a particular
area of the server.

	--- Noel