james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Next 2.x release
Date Sun, 05 Nov 2006 19:46:29 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> You was referring to the "per service / per ip connection limit" feature
> that maybe we'll implement on trunk (it is not there yet).

Right.  It is just a configuration enhancement to the code already present
in trunk, and easily backported to v2.3.  I've already backported the
current code in my private build for the 2.3.0 successor, but am waiting for
Norman to do the additional enhancements to trunk before backporting them in
SVN, since we'd want the enhancement and are in no rush to release.

> I simply said that I think [that] this is a new feature/improvement and
> can't be backported to 2.3 for the 2.3.1 release. If, instead, you was
> already talking about "next-minor" then I agree you can backport it

+1

This is just the silly nomenclature problem.  Next Minor should be v2.4,
since v2.3.x would be just a v2.3 bug fix.  Next Major should be v3.0.  But
since we haven't agreed on the version names, we're constantly running afoul
of them.

> please create a next-minor branch starting from the v2.3 branch
> and backport the code there and not on the 2.3 branch.

The v2.3 branch *is* the next minor branch.  We have no need for another.
If, for some reason, we need just a bug fix branch, we can copy from the tag
for 2.3.0.  I can rename the branch if it makes you happier.  I had planned
to do that earlier, but we can't agree on the names.

	--- Noel