james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Confirmed but unidentified memory leak in RC2
Date Fri, 03 Nov 2006 15:29:15 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> let's collect some proof that the jvm problem is correctly workarounded
> this way, then we'll decide how to fix it.

What do you think that I've been doing?  FWIW, heap dumps are in
~noel/JAMES-only.

> I think it should be better to add the system property to alter the
> default behaviour of InetAddress and do not change the code (for the
> 2.3 branch).

I've already made the change, and it appears to work fine.

> I don't think we'll want to release 2.3.1 in a week with this patch

Either the code is patched or the run scripts are patched with Sun-specific
environment variables, so I prefer to fix it properly, which is to fix the
code.  Until we do, the temporary workaround would be for the user to either
set the Sun-specific environment variable, or update java.policy, so no we
don't have to release in a week.  I've already applied the code fix and the
Per IP enhancement, but would want to wait for the enhanced Per IP, and see
what other issues crop up.  And I'll do more testing this weekend with the
updated code.

>>> I still don't understand why we don't experience this leak.

> > I receive roughly the same number of connections as the ASF, the vast
> > majority from DHCP pools

> I never noticed memory problems: btw maybe that the client addressese
> are often the same in my environment.

Yes, that would make a huge difference, given the nature of the problem.

> "roughly the same number of connections as the ASF" is a little
> meaningless for people not having access to the logs of ASF
> mailservers ;-) : can you give us numbers?

Some 100Ks per day.  And that's with 100s of DHCP pools already blocked
outright at the firewall.

> In java 1.5 the "standard" property (networkaddress.cache.ttl) works

For how long have you been setting it?

	--- Noel