james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Joachim Draeger ...@joachim-draeger.de>
Subject Re: [IMAP] performance of commands on unselected mailboxes
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:03:49 GMT
Am Sonntag, den 10.12.2006, 10:41 +0000 schrieb robert burrell donkin:

> i ran monitoring code most of last week and the same
> getImapMailboxSession performance problem that effected the STATUS
> command also effect many of the other commands which operated on
> unselected mailboxes. the APPEND command has been running very slowly
> (in the tens of seconds).

Which many other commands do you have in mind? AFAIK there is only
APPEND, COPY and STATUS that opens a mailbox session.

> as requested, i updated to the lastest code and merged my local
> changes. i'm glad to say that the recent improvements have made a very
> noticable difference to APPEND. STATUS is still running with the local
> change to lazy caching to allow me to collect data for comparison
> against the new version on HEAD. (i'm now running with derby logging
> off to improve performance.)

Well, the lazy initialization of the cache should be done always. The
objection I had was to modify the API for this case. Instead the init
should be done before the first read/write.

The COPY command can be optimized implementation internally, because the
destination is not forced to be inside a session.

Maybe there is also a good solution for the APPEND. But before I would
create a non-selected session, I would add an APPEND short-cut directly
to the MailboxManager.

Another thing I just noticed: Maybe we have to introduce a read-only
session for the EXAMINE command. But at the moment I don't know a client
that fails without, so it could be postponed.

Joachim

P.S.: Okay this time it was my fault: premature sent caused by thick
fingers. ;-)