james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Joachim Draeger ...@joachim-draeger.de>
Subject Type of next release
Date Sun, 17 Dec 2006 08:32:52 GMT

Hi all,

Because something went wrong I think we need a cut and a complete restart of
discussion / collecting opinions. Because I suppose everything has already been
said, it should be possible to finish this part soon.

AFAIK there have only been mentioned three different possibilities:

1. Backport features from trunk to 2.3 branch (AKA next-minor)

     - this includes only backporting and testing, a release may be done
       very soon

2. Create a config/storage compatible release from trunk (AKA next-major)

     - To be able to start working on incompatible features, this may
       imply branching soon

3. Work on a non-compatible release from trunk (AKA next-greater)

    -  This could probably done without branching, or just branch when all
       features are implemented. ETA is probably a bit later

Which kind of release do you prefer and why?
What are you willing to work on?
Does anyone have a completely different idea in mind?

To avoid an endless discussion I propose an end date that is hopefully the start
date of a new vote: Thursday 12/21/06

I guess some of us will be completely offline around Christmas / turn of the
year. Maybe you could give a hint whether you'll be able / want to participate on
possible decisions.
Yes, I'm in a hurry because I think that too much time has already been lost and
this project needs to be more dynamic.

Joachim