james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Joachim Draeger ...@joachim-draeger.de>
Subject Re: AW: [VOTE] Using of 2.3 branch
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:48:12 GMT
Am Donnerstag, den 21.12.2006, 16:03 +0100 schrieb Vincenzo Gianferrari
Pini:

> > - New Features into Trunk
> > - Bugfixes into the Release Branch of 2.3
> > - ported Features of Trunk that should be incorporated into the 2.3 codebase
> > should be done into a new branch with the name 2.4
> >
> > That way everything is clean, everyone looking at the repository gets an idea
> > of how the project is structured.
> >

> Agree, but at the same time having three branches is hard to mantain (we
> know that from the past history of James), so what I think is worth is
> to all of us be more *flexible and pragmatic*.

And we should be open for *compromises*. It just seems that James PMC
and community are unable to make widely accepted decisions at the moment
and it seems that this state will continue.
Crucial votes, maybe even with vetos, will bring us nothing. Discussion
will just come up again and prevent us from moving forward.
Having three branches will be better than discussing for ever and just
doing nothing.
There is a group that doesn't want to work on next minor. Not because it
is not a desirable goal. They want to concentrate on new features in
trunk and bugfixes for 2.3. I think this won't change.
Some think that we need a bugfix only branch of 2.3 to be able to
release it at any time. A backported feature probably needs more time to
test.
Even if it may be cumbersome and inconvenient: The three branches
strategy may be the only possible compromise to enable everyone to
work.
Of course working on a common goal would be much better. But this way is
better than doing nothing.

I don't care whether 2.3 based release will use CTR or RTC. But I think
setting up a roadmap is needed to make the community to understand the
goal. It will also make it easier for people to get involved.

Joachim

P.S.: I announced a vote for today. Sorry, I don't think we are that far
right now.