james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: AW: [VOTE] Using of 2.3 branch
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2006 17:05:33 GMT
Joachim Draeger wrote:
>> Agree, but at the same time having three branches is hard to mantain (we
>> know that from the past history of James), so what I think is worth is
>> to all of us be more *flexible and pragmatic*.
>
> And we should be open for *compromises*. It just seems that James PMC
> and community are unable to make widely accepted decisions at the moment
> and it seems that this state will continue.
> Crucial votes, maybe even with vetos, will bring us nothing. Discussion
> will just come up again and prevent us from moving forward.

> Having three branches will be better than discussing for ever and just
> doing nothing.

IMO the key part is that development should (must) happen in trunk: the
point release, the next-minor and the next-major branches should only
receive backports.

> There is a group that doesn't want to work on next minor. Not because it
> is not a desirable goal. They want to concentrate on new features in
> trunk and bugfixes for 2.3. I think this won't change.

I agree. It will be easy to prevent them from working at all, but it
won't be easy to force them to work on something they don't like.

> Some think that we need a bugfix only branch of 2.3 to be able to
> release it at any time. A backported feature probably needs more time to
> test.
> Even if it may be cumbersome and inconvenient: The three branches
> strategy may be the only possible compromise to enable everyone to
> work.
> Of course working on a common goal would be much better. But this way is
> better than doing nothing.

I agree.

> I don't care whether 2.3 based release will use CTR or RTC. But I think
> setting up a roadmap is needed to make the community to understand the
> goal. It will also make it easier for people to get involved.

+1

> Joachim
>
> P.S.: I announced a vote for today. Sorry, I don't think we are that far
> right now.

Unfortunately I agree.

Stefano