james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Norman Maurer ...@byteaction.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] InetAddress unbounded cache patch backport
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:38:09 GMT
Noel J. Bergman schrieb:

>>> It disables the cache, and that means taking a performance hit on most
>>> lookups.  I get 100's of 1000s of connections daily, and they do tend to
>>> come in waves from the same IP, so I would not get the benefit from
>>>
> having
>
>>> already done the lookup.  Plus, when dnsjava goes to process the IP, we
>>> would not have already populated it into the cache.
>>>

>> You told that the IPs are very different in your request and hardly
>> repeated (you told this).
>>

> As I said, they tend to come in batches.  Over the past 20 hours, we have
> had about 150K connections, of which about 10K were duplicates within a
> fraction of a second.  These would result in redundant queries, as would
> others over a period of time.
>
> I really don't understand why you steadfastly refuse to allow anyone to
> apply the same quality of fix to JAMES that we have already applied to
> trunk.  Unless that is your actual goal: to prevent effective changes on v2,
> so that only trunk can be developed.
>
> 	--- Noel

I think is more likely to try to limit the diffrences about the code in
trunk and 2.3 branch. I just don't like to backport the whole DNSServer.
This will bring more risk to 2.3 branch and the change is to "big" for
a bugfix release (IMHO).   Maybe i not understand it correct, but why we
not just add the security property setting the the phoenix-loader ? So
if someone upgrade he just need to replace the james.sar and the
phoenix-loader.jar ?

bye
Norman