james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Type of next release
Date Sun, 17 Dec 2006 23:43:25 GMT
> > 1. Backport features from trunk to 2.3 branch (AKA next-minor):
> +0 I see no need for such a release. If we want to make a release
> soon then we should release a 2.3.1 with only should contain bugfixes.

I would have put out JAMES 2.3.1 over a month ago were it not for
obstructions.  JAMES 2.3.0 has a critical defect that I fixed, but Stefano
vetoed the change, preventing a release.  We should have been responsible
and released a bug fix release to our users.  Instead, I am running a
private build.  JAMES v2.3.0 is simply not usable for me.

I would also add a couple of other backported changes, but nothing too
major.

> > 2. Create a config/storage compatible release from trunk (AKA
next-major)

> +0.8 This is what we have currently in trunk.. IMHO it's the safest of all
> releases.

SAFEST?!  I agree with making a branch to start working on a release from
trunk, but to call it safe is just not credible.

> > 3. Work on a non-compatible release from trunk (AKA next-greater)
> +1 After workin on fixin bugs and new features

I don't particularly care too much.  If necessary, compatible work can
continue in the so-called "next-minor" branch.

	--- Noel