james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] InetAddress unbounded cache patch backport
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 01:50:52 GMT
>>> Make sure our container use an expiration for cached dns data
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-679
>>> This one is a workaround that would avoid JAMES-592 to happen, with no
>>> changes to the code.
>> It disables the cache, and that means taking a performance hit on most
>> lookups.  I get 100's of 1000s of connections daily, and they do tend to
>> come in waves from the same IP, so I would not get the benefit from
having
>> already done the lookup.  Plus, when dnsjava goes to process the IP, we
>> would not have already populated it into the cache.

> You told that the IPs are very different in your request and hardly
> repeated (you told this).

As I said, they tend to come in batches.  Over the past 20 hours, we have
had about 150K connections, of which about 10K were duplicates within a
fraction of a second.  These would result in redundant queries, as would
others over a period of time.

I really don't understand why you steadfastly refuse to allow anyone to
apply the same quality of fix to JAMES that we have already applied to
trunk.  Unless that is your actual goal: to prevent effective changes on v2,
so that only trunk can be developed.

	--- Noel