james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Brewin" <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject RE: Creating Subproject for BayesianFilter
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2007 20:57:02 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> Norman Maurer wrote:
> > Wel my idea why i want to move it into a subproject was
> that maybe some
> > developer whould find it very usefull to just use a framework for
> > getting a bayesian filter integrate with their software. I
> think most of
> > developer don't need a full mailserver like james. Thats
> only my point
> > of view..
> >
> > And still think that most work on the bayesian code should
> be still done
> > by Vinzenco and Danny cause both of them work on that code
> and have the
> > background knowing of the alcorithm etc.. I just whould
> help to move it
> > as the first step ..
> >
> > bye
> > Norman
>
> We already have mime4j and jsieve that are almost
> dead/unsupported. I'm
> +0 in creating a new subproject, but I think that the +1 should come
> from people that really will commit themselves to the
> subproject lifecycle.

Just for info, I don't consider jsieve dead, just resting :) Its waiting for
our infrastructure to evolve to plug it in - IMAP and the new extended
Mailet API should do the job. I had hoped that we would get there (much)
sooner. Its entirely independant of James but as a matter of loyalty I have
always wanted to use James as the flagship integration.

> Generally speaking I think that extracting utility libraries
> from server
> code is a good idea to increase our community.

Agreed. As I've said before, a mail-commons is an excellent idea for
reusable components with a clear and clean API which is James independent. I
don't believe that the Bayesian stuff meets these criteria right now.

If someone wishes to evolve it to do so, cool! Until then lets leave it
where it is.

<snipped/>

Cheers

-- Steve