james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@buni.org>
Subject Re: AW: RESTful email [WAS Re: MailboxManager API and session orientation was: Jsieve Configuration]
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 22:14:52 GMT
You know who is doing this really successfully and even made it a key
upselling point?
I imagine there are even performance numbers for it.  I know I'm
speaking heresy...

> had a talk with some of the DAV folks last year. AIUI the right way to
> do it would be to standardize a  small amount of email specific stuff
> on top of DAV (rather than force everything to work within DAV).
>
> a lot could be achieve by using DAV properties to access email
> specific meta-data (for example unread counts)
>
> but yes, xml is the preferred DAV format. it's not as terse as
> standard email formats  and would require parsing. so yes, the
> question would be how big an impact this would be.
>
> i'm interested in associating and sharing meta-data with email so i'm
> willing to trade a little verbosity for being able to create servers
> and clients more easily.
>
> - robert

No PST Files Ever Again
Buni Meldware Communication Suite
Email, Calendaring, ease of configuration/administration
http://buni.org