james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Brewin" <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject RE: project-schema.xml
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 20:40:01 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:

> > robert burrell donkin ha scritto:
> > > i'm a torque expert so here are a couple of questions
> about the schema...
> >
> > That's cool ;-)
> > Well, Joachim is the man for your answers, but I try with
> my knowledge
> > about...
> >
> > > 1. there don't seem to be any indexes. is this intentional? does
> > > torque automatically add indexes?
> >
> > It is not intentional: it was the first easy step to make
> it working.
>
> i'll try some indexes locally and see if they make a
> noticeable difference
>
> > > 2. the header is a VARCHAR length 1024. this seems a
> little short to
> > > me. is there a good reason for this choice?
> >
> > 1024 == A random number for the first tests
> > The rationale is: IIRC the RFC does not require limits on the header
> > size, so we are stuck to a arbitrary number that will not
> fit any message.
> > Maybe 1024 will fit 99% of messages, but maybe 2-3K will
> work better:
>
> those figures accord with my experience
>
> > messages with 1MB headers will need a special handling anyway
>
> true
>
> ATM a message with a header that is too big is simply rejected. even
> if only 1% are effected then perhaps we shouldn't be just rejecting
> these mail since they are RFC compliant. any ideas about better ways
> to handle this case?
>
> - robert

Why not use the maximum VARCHAR size supported by the underlying DBMS as an
overridable default limit? When the limit is exceeded I cannot see a better
alternative than rejecting the message with "452 Requested action not taken:
insufficient system storage". The "bounce" seems perfectly reasonable
behaviour as every system ultimately has hard limits.

We do need to validate that we can withstand a flood of such huge headers.

Cheers

-- Steve