james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [POLL][modularisation] What About AbstractLogEnabled...?
Date Sun, 11 Mar 2007 15:04:47 GMT
Avalon way (to inject the logger as any other service) is my preferred
approach to logging. I really don't understand why this pattern is not
used by every other logging framework.

In jSPF instead we added our own Logger interface, but I think that this
is not a good solution if everyone start adding new "cloned" interfaces.
We did this because jSPF was not bound to Avalon, so we simply took the
Logger interface from there and used for our purpose (with injection).

I would avoid the "standard" use of static methods inside classes to
lookup the logger (Logger.getLogger / Log.getLogger) and I prefer to
keep dependency injection for the logger service. We could inject
something different from Avalon Logger and then use a wrapper to keep
compatibility with the current components/container.

e.g: refactor our components to expect a Commons-logging logger (like
IMAP classes do) to be injected. We can then use a wrapper (it already
exists in our codebase, because of IMAP stuff, IIRC).

The main "problem" with this solution is the lack of getChildLogger in
commons-logging: we make use of it (not too much, but we do). Joachim
introduced the MyLogFactory interface as a solution to this issue.
Another approach is to avoid the use of getChild by using always
container managed components or using container managed factories when
we need "wired" sub-components.

Stefano