james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Required version of Ant
Date Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:25:24 GMT
Noel J. Bergman ha scritto:
> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>> Cool to see that in 1.7 they solved this issue in a clean way: this was
>> *one* of the triggers that led me to try maven2 1.5 years ago.
>
> Good, now we can go back.  :-p

The "*"s around "one" were there to avoid this reply :-P
I'm not a religious follower in the maven vs ant was: I simply like to
use the tools that better fit my goals.

Architecturally speaking I think maven is 10:1 to ant, but in real world
maven still has a lot of limits: I like the competition between the 2,
because this is leading to better products from both teams.

>> I like the #5:
>> ---
>> Leave ant-junit.jar in its default location in ANT_HOME/lib but include
>> junit.jar in the <classpath> passed to <junit>. (since Ant 1.7)
>> ---
>
> So do I.  That's my preferred solution.  I had viewed that as related to #4,
> with the exception that #4 seemed a bit more detailed on the <classpath>
> element, but I hadn't read it closely enough.  I now see that <junit> takes
> a nested <classpath> entry for the purpose.
>
> I've committed a change to unittest.class.path in build.xml.  This means
> that everyone must update to Ant 1.7.0 or they won't be able to build or run
> the unit tests with the new build file.  If that is a problem, we can revert
> the change, but I suspect that most of us want this change, and installing
> the Ant 1.7.0 binary distribution is trivially simple.

+1 Thanks!!

Requiring ant-1.7.0 installed is much better than asking the users to
"hack" their ant<1.7.0 folder or to include again ant in our distribution.

>> This would require to put the junit.jar in the stage folder, but if I
>> understood it correctly ASF allows us to do this.
>
> As per http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html, yes, that seems correct.

That was my source too! I noticed the "This document represents a
*proposed* ASF policy", so I preferred to verify this.
Having an answer from you and Robert make me feel more confident about this.

Stefano