james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@buni.org>
Subject Re: [IMAP] MessageRow and MessageFlags
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:57:17 GMT
Danny Angus wrote:
> On 3/13/07, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> reinforces my view that JAMES should only parse data into a JavaMail
>> message when this is demanded by a processor
>
> Totally.
>
> and we do need to write our own implementation rather than use the
> com.sun stuff which isn't really suited to throughput, and lacks some
> features which could be of use.
The Geronimo boys started that but aborted, but do you think it would be
wiser to start from scratch rather than fix Sun's at least as a starting
point?   Assuming that the performance issues in Mime4J are resolved it
could take the place of the JAF + mime content type handlers
(refactoring them as needed).  Assuming they're willing to collaborate
then perhaps a perf branch that fixes the problems of the assumptions in
the spec could help affect the next edition.

-Andy

--
>From Windows/Exchange to Linux/Meldware
Buni Meldware Communication Suite
Email, Calendaring, ease of configuration/administration
http://buni.org