james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: All clear
Date Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:12:16 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:

> > The automated build processes only use dist/james-${version}/downloads,
> > which holds the various release packages.  The rest of the directory
> > structure is an unpackaged build for phoenix.

> i always found that structure a little confusing but maybe that's just me
:-/

Which structure?  The only part I really need is the one directory listed
above.

> in the medium term perhaps we might think about putting the master
> distributions directly into dist/james-${version}

Eliminating the download/ directory?  That's not a problem, except that I
will need to modify my scripts to have a different set for the working
branches and the new trunk.

> > Are you planning to build all of the components first, and then
> > stage the phoenix assembly underneath the phoenix-distribution
> > directory structure?

> unless anyone suggestions something better :-)

No, that's fine.

> subant allows me to build in sequence (apis, libraries, functions,
> deployments) calling standard targets. the component builds (apis,
> libraries, functions) create jars in stage/org.apache.james/jars. the
> deployment build picks these up and uses then to create the final
> deployment.

Yes, I really like subant.  Perhaps we can get back to using it, and
eliminate the Maven ... er ... "stuff" ... that has crept into JAMES.

> BTW i'm not sure that i like the name 'stage' and think that perhaps
> 'lib' would be better. opinions?

Yes, lib/ is probably better than stage (referring to earlier topic).  We
might want to distinguish between our own components and external
dependencies.

	--- Noel