james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Required version of Ant
Date Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:11:07 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Noel J. Bergman ha scritto:
>> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>>> does ant 1.7.0 solve the issue with the junit task and the junit.jar
>>> library?
>>>
>>> I really never liked having to manually download junit.jar to
>>> the "ant install dir"/lib to be able to run the junit ant task
>>> (and this applies also to other task=>dependency tuple).
>> See http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/junit.html and
>> http://ant.apache.org/faq.html#delegating-classloader
>>
>> we probably want to go with option #4.
> Cool to see that in 1.7 they solved this issue in a clean way: this was
> *one* of the triggers that led me to try maven2 1.5 years ago.

Good, now we can go back.  :-p

> I like the #5:
> ---
> Leave ant-junit.jar in its default location in ANT_HOME/lib but include
> junit.jar in the <classpath> passed to <junit>. (since Ant 1.7)
> ---

So do I.  That's my preferred solution.  I had viewed that as related to #4,
with the exception that #4 seemed a bit more detailed on the <classpath>
element, but I hadn't read it closely enough.  I now see that <junit> takes
a nested <classpath> entry for the purpose.

I've committed a change to unittest.class.path in build.xml.  This means
that everyone must update to Ant 1.7.0 or they won't be able to build or run
the unit tests with the new build file.  If that is a problem, we can revert
the change, but I suspect that most of us want this change, and installing
the Ant 1.7.0 binary distribution is trivially simple.

As per http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html, yes, that seems correct.

> Thank you for the links!

You're welcome.

	--- Noel