james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: project-schema.xml
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 20:40:21 GMT
> robert burrell donkin ha scritto:
> > i'm a torque expert so here are a couple of questions about the schema...
>
> That's cool ;-)
> Well, Joachim is the man for your answers, but I try with my knowledge
> about...
>
> > 1. there don't seem to be any indexes. is this intentional? does
> > torque automatically add indexes?
>
> It is not intentional: it was the first easy step to make it working.

i'll try some indexes locally and see if they make a noticeable difference

> > 2. the header is a VARCHAR length 1024. this seems a little short to
> > me. is there a good reason for this choice?
>
> 1024 == A random number for the first tests
> The rationale is: IIRC the RFC does not require limits on the header
> size, so we are stuck to a arbitrary number that will not fit any message.
> Maybe 1024 will fit 99% of messages, but maybe 2-3K will work better:

those figures accord with my experience

> messages with 1MB headers will need a special handling anyway

true

ATM a message with a header that is too big is simply rejected. even
if only 1% are effected then perhaps we shouldn't be just rejecting
these mail since they are RFC compliant. any ideas about better ways
to handle this case?

- robert