james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: James deployed as plugin on Geronimo!
Date Sat, 10 Mar 2007 20:19:56 GMT
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
> > > It might make sense to revisit some of it using JCA, but we have very
> > > specific needs, and an overly general approach of reusing JEE is not
> likely
> > > to give us the performance that we need.
>
> > the use case i was thinking about was a JEE application requiring deep
> > email integration
>
> You need to elaborate.

example use case: application wants to creates emails which clients
will download through POP3 (say). ATM this requires out-of-container
interactions to a separate email server. running JAMES in-container
would allow messages to be fed directly to JAMES without needing to
run SMTP.

> > running james in container using JCA for integration with the JEE
> > application should be more performant than the application using
> > existing protocols to communicate via sockets. it would also be more
> > flexible.
>
> More performant for what?  For the JEE app, or for the mainstream JAMES
> server which needs to get faster, not slower.

JEE application

in the above example, the JEE application would create an email
message and then push it into a connector. the bus would route this to
an appropriate JAMES processing spool. these would then be served over
POP3 by the existing JAMES code.

- robert