james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [IMAP] MessageRow and MessageFlags
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:50:08 GMT
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>
> > the more i look into the model, though, the more i wonder whether
> > achieving good performance won't require changes
>
> It likely will.  There is a change I want to make, which is to move the
> message data (the blog) to a separate table.

i don't understand why the message data has to be stored in the
database. ATM full message retrieval and storage is slow, and requires
that the whole document is loaded into memory.

AIUI JAMES supports basic message data operations for a variety of
backends. IMHO it would be a more elegant design to split the message
meta-data from the message data. the message data could then be stored
in any existing JAMES backend.

> We discussed that in Dublin.
> We should take some time to review the schema, and try to make the changes
> at the same time, rather than piecemeal.

that sounds reasonable

> > torque frequently performs unnecessary joins
>
> I can't think of any good reason to use Torque or any other O/R mapper,
> other than that they were used for expedience.  Let's ditch it for proper
> SQL statements, and optimize access.

i don't think that moving away from torque is worth the effort ATM.
it's possible to hand-patch problems areas.

- robert