james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Creeping mavenization of JAMES
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 23:19:09 GMT
Noel J. Bergman ha scritto:
> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>
>> [the poms are] is needed to build the website: when the move to
> multimodule
>> has been done the website builds has been broken. I just moved one step
>> forward to make everything works again.
>
> That makes sense, but it seems that there is more in the pom.xml files than
> just needed for the web sites.

Can you make an example? To build the website and the reports we need to
build the jars and run unit tests, so I had to add everything is needed
to make the build.

>> Feel free to create an ant script to build the website and I'll remove
>> the pom.xml files
>
> Are the sites still anakia compatible?  And how much are we generating via
> maven, e.g., the navigation bits?  In any event, see below regarding the web
> sites.

AFAIK all the pages are in xdoc format. The navigation bits are in the
site.xml (maven specific or maybe doxia stuff). Sorry, but I don't know
anakia (I only used it a couple of time years ago).

> It bothers me is that the two distribution files that were able to build
> (the bin/ packages) no longer have any documentation in them, but I'll wait
> for the final fixes to what you're doing now, and will then review again.

Same here: but this was a problem of the modularization, not of the m2
build. I just tried to make a step forward in revamping the website
creation stuff. It is far from being complete, but I guess this will
need more work from the ant guys ;-)

>> If someone take the time to create out website with ant I have no
>> problem in using ant: I did the maven2 based website many months ago
>
> I know, and it has been valuable.  The web site is more modular and better
> than it had been in prior.

Thank you.

>> I'm happy anyway I spent the time to make the multimodule build to work
>> and create the website
>
> See above.  And, as you know, Ant also has multi-module build abilities.

I know, but I don't think that we should spend time to recreate in ant
what maven already does out of the box. But I've nothing against it if
someone take this responsibility and do this with ant (and mantain it
when is needed).

>> If you are interested in this (and I bet you are not, because you seems
>> to be so "biased" on this topic), after this comparison I still think
>> that maven2 is the way to go
>
> For the web site, perhaps.  For the code, no way.

The world is beautiful because we are different :-)

>> it could also easily be configured to automatically release and
>> sign our deployments (if it was our main build system
>
> FWIW, I've got all of that automated on my end, including the part to
> publish to a selected location via ssh.  But automatic release is a really
> bad idea, and not in conformance with ASF policy, since we want to approve
> the artifacts before they are published.
>
> 	--- Noel

I know this.. this is like C vs C++ .. there is nothing you can do in
C++ that you can't do in C. There is nothing you can do in java that you
can't do in c++ (while the opposite is sometimes true).

E.g: Someone took the time to create an asf signing release plugin for
maven: now every maven2 based project can create signed jars simply
importing the plugin (or simply using a command line).

You took the time to do that in your environment: only you take
advantage from this.

Btw I don't need to convince you: just don't complain about what I did,
instead use your time to show us what your tools can do better. This
will be your best arguments (I've already shown what my tools do ;-) ).

Enjoy,
Stefano