james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Creeping mavenization of JAMES
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 21:07:28 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:

> [the poms are] is needed to build the website: when the move to
multimodule
> has been done the website builds has been broken. I just moved one step
> forward to make everything works again.

That makes sense, but it seems that there is more in the pom.xml files than
just needed for the web sites.

> Feel free to create an ant script to build the website and I'll remove
> the pom.xml files

Are the sites still anakia compatible?  And how much are we generating via
maven, e.g., the navigation bits?  In any event, see below regarding the web
sites.

It bothers me is that the two distribution files that were able to build
(the bin/ packages) no longer have any documentation in them, but I'll wait
for the final fixes to what you're doing now, and will then review again.

> If someone take the time to create out website with ant I have no
> problem in using ant: I did the maven2 based website many months ago

I know, and it has been valuable.  The web site is more modular and better
than it had been in prior.

> I'm happy anyway I spent the time to make the multimodule build to work
> and create the website

See above.  And, as you know, Ant also has multi-module build abilities.

> If you are interested in this (and I bet you are not, because you seems
> to be so "biased" on this topic), after this comparison I still think
> that maven2 is the way to go

For the web site, perhaps.  For the code, no way.

> it could also easily be configured to automatically release and
> sign our deployments (if it was our main build system

FWIW, I've got all of that automated on my end, including the part to
publish to a selected location via ssh.  But automatic release is a really
bad idea, and not in conformance with ASF policy, since we want to approve
the artifacts before they are published.

	--- Noel