james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Can JAMES recover spooled mail after a JVM crash?
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:36:38 GMT
On 4/24/07, Danny Angus <danny@apache.org> wrote:
> On 4/24/07, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > will spooled mail survive a JVM crash?
> >
> > will it be automatically processed next time james starts?
>
> Just to add to what everyone else has said.. Yes. (we got that right
> :-)  the cost is that it may be processed twice through one or more
> processors. Which isn't ideal if you're a student of messaging but
> seems to be pretty normal for email.
>
> The CompilerThread stuff is related to the hotspot optimiser (as I'm
> sure you know) so down/upgrading might help, so also might exploring
> some of the -XX settings or alternative JSE implementations.
>
> We (work) have a sun support contract and we've raised one or two
> issues with 1.4 normally they can be resolved with either changing
> versions or meddling with heap settings.

crashed every day this week but this one. i'd set up a lot of
monitoring (no one mentioned jconsole but that's another useful tool)
everything looked fine memory wise. so, it looks likely that it's an
issue with the JVM.

i'm going to move JAMES onto my laptop soon so i'm not sure whether
i'll be able to try this again

thanks for the help everyone :-)

- robert